- Exp.: None Required
- Min. Education level: Diploma
- Specialism: Accounting, Commerce or Finance / Actuarial Science / Architecture ,Building, Design or Construction / Business Information Technology (BIT) / Civil Engineering / Criminology/Security Studies / Data Science / Early Childhood Development / Economics or Statistics / Electrical & Electronic Engineering / Environmental Health Sciences / Fleet Management / HR & Administration / IT or Computer Science / Journalism & Communication / Law / Marine Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronic Engineering / Nautical Science or Marine Related / Occupational Health and Safety / Procurement & Logistics / Public or External Relations / Purchasing & Supply Chain / Records Information Management / Risk Management / Sales or Marketing / Social Sciences / Transport
Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) which is under the Ministry of Roads and Transport, is a wholly owned State Corporation established through an Act of Parliament in January 1978. KPA is mandated to manage and operate all scheduled seaports and Inland waterway ports in Kenya. It is responsible for the operation and management of the Port of Mombasa, Port of Lamu, scheduled seaports including Malindi, Kilifi, Mtwapa, Kiunga, Shimoni, Vanga, Ngomeni and Kiunga ; the inland waterways – Kisumu Port and other inland jetties including Kendu Bay, Kowuor, Homa Bay, Mbita, Karungu, Muhuru, Mfangano, Asembo Bay, Usenge and Port Victoria; the Inland Container Depots in Nairobi, Naivasha and Kisumu as well as liaison offices in Uganda, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo that cater for transit countries.
As a leading maritime organization in the region, KPA plays a vital role in facilitating trade, promoting economic growth and connecting Kenya to the world. The Authority’s Mission is “to provide efficient and competitive port services to facilitate global trade”.
Our Vision is “World Class Ports of Choice”.
Our core values are Customer Focus, Integrity, Teamwork, Care and Innovation.
The Authority is pleased to announce 150 internship/apprenticeship vacancies across various departments. The objective of the Kenya Ports Authority internship/apprenticeship program is to provide young adults with the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and exposure to the real workplace environment. The following are the available opportunities for a maximum period of one year (12 months) effective from January 2024.
Container Terminal Operations Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma in Maritime Transport and Logistics / Maritime Management.
Container Terminal Engineering Division
Requirements: Degree /Diploma in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering/ Government Trade Tests II or III or Certificate of Experiential Learning.
Information Communication Technology, Innovation & Business Process Re-Engineering Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma Information Technology/Business Information Technology
Port Electrical Engineering Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma Electrical /Mechanical Engineering/Government Trade Tests II or III or Certificate of Experiential Learning.
Civil Engineering Division
Requirements: Bachelor/Diploma Civil Engineering/ Government Trade Tests II or III or Certificate of Experiential Learning
Marine Engineering Division
Requirements: Degree /Diploma in Marine Engineering/Mechatronics/ Government Trade Tests II or III or Certificate of Experiential Learning.
Safety, Health & Environment Division
Requirements: Degree in Health, Safety & Environment
Supply Chain Management/Contract management Division
Requirements: Degree in Procurement/Purchasing & Supplies.
Human Resources Division
Requirements: Degree /Diploma Human Resource Management/Social Sciences.
Project Development Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma in Civil Engineering/ Building and Construction/Government Trade Tests II or III or Certificate of Experiential Learning.
Commercial /Insurance Services Division
Requirements: Degree in Actuarial Science/Risk Management & Insurance/Maritime Insurance.
Corporate Communications Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma in Public Relations and Corporate Communication.
Corporate Research, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Division
Requirements: Degree in Economics/Statistics/Research/ Data Science
Marketing Cruise & Customer Experience Division
Requirements: Degree in Marketing.
Requirements: Degree/Diploma/Certificate in Early Childhood Development and Education.
Ferry Operations Division
Requirements: Diploma in Nautical Science/Certificates of Competence in Maritime Operations.
Ferry Maintenance Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma in Marine/ Mechanical Engineering/Mechatronics/Government Trade Tests II or III or Certificate of Experiential Learning
Security Services Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma in Criminology & Security Management.
Conventional Cargo Engineering Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma Electrical/ Mechanical Engineering/Government Trade Tests II or III or Certificate of Experiential Learning
Conventional Cargo Operations Division
Requirements: Degree/Diploma in Maritime Transport and Logistics / Maritime Management and related courses
Litigation & Disputes Division
Requirements: Degree/ Diploma in Law & Records Management.
Financial/Management Accounting Division
Requirements: Degree in Commerce /Financial Management.
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Be a Kenyan citizen not over the age of 34 years.
- Be an unemployed graduate from a recognized training institution who has completed a degree/diploma/certificate course and has not been exposed to any work experience related to their area of study since graduation.
- Not have benefited from a similar internship program.
- Not have retired or exited from formal employment.
Applications for internships/apprenticeships should be supported by the applicant’s university or college certificates/transcripts.
Interested applicants should submit their applications strictly online
All applications should be received on or before 27th November 2023.
Applicants are requested to note the following important information:.
- The Authority WILL NOT offer employment after the completion of the Internship/Apprenticeship Program.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete twelve (12) months of the Internship Program to fully benefit from the objectives of the program.
- INCOMPLETE applications will not be considered; and
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Kenya Ports Authority is an equal opportunity employer (differently abled persons are encouraged to apply). Canvassing directly or indirectly will result in disqualification.
Applications have closed