About the Position
Katiba Institute is looking for a Communications Assistant who will support the implementation of the Institute’s communications strategy. The Communications Assistant, working under the Communications and Public Liaison Officer, will support strategies that increase KI’s visibility to diverse audiences, expand digital information sharing capacity, and strengthen internal and external communications systems. The ideal candidate should have, among others, excellent research, written and verbal communication skills, a strong understanding of social media and other digital platforms, and proficiency in design software.
About Katiba Institute
Katiba Institute (KI) is a research and litigation institution established in 2011 with the mission of supporting the implementation of Kenya’s 2010 Constitution, resisting efforts to undermine that Constitution, and assisting in developing a culture of constitutionalism in Kenya. It undertakes constitutional research, comments on policies and laws from a constitutional perspective, and publishes books and other material on the Constitution. Much of its work involves litigation to enforce constitutional rights and ensure the proper performance of constitutional duties and responsibilities. KI also fosters the spirit of constitutionalism in the East African region by promoting the exchange of academic discourse on constitutional issues and working with like-minded organisations to secure greater freedoms in the East African Region.
KI is registered as a company limited by guarantee. It is headed by an Executive Director and has a distinguished Board. It operates under three departments: the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) Unit, Research and Publication with Civic Education and Capacity Building, and Finance and Operations. Staff in the various departments operate in a consultative and cooperative manner.
Key duties and responsibilities
1. Support the organisation’s goals, including message development, social media content creation and media outreach.
2. Disseminate public relations materials that increase KI’s visibility among stakeholders and the public.
3. Enhance relationships with journalists, media houses, bloggers, and other entities in the media sector to help advance KI’s work.
4. Assist in the implementation of KI’s communication strategy.
5. Assist different departments in developing information, education, and communication (IEC) and capacity-building materials for different audiences, including newsletters, reports and other publications.
6. Support the production of internal and external communications, including collating and compiling content for the institutional newsletter.
7. Assist in sub-editing and proofreading communications products, including success stories, press releases, photographs, videos, website content and social media posts.
8. Support in updating and managing KI’s website and social media platforms.
9. Undertake any other task that may be assigned from time to time.
1. A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or related field.
2. At least two years’ experience in communications, especially in the civil society sector.
3. Proven writing, editing, design, videography and photography skills.
4. Ability to produce analytical and well-presented reports and publications.
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
6. Knowledge of digital optimisation and other current trends in communication, including digital transformation.
7. Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively.
8. Advanced knowledge of office management software design software such as Photoshop, InDesign, Publisher, and other graphics software is required.
9. Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team.
10. Ability to balance priorities and coordinate work effectively to meet deadlines.
11. Conviction in and commitment to constitutionalism and human rights principles.
12. Ability to analyse problems rigorously and from all angles, showing sound practical judgment.
13. Sound emotional intelligence skills to enable interaction with persons from all sectors of society.
Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contacts of three referees. Include ‘Communications Assistant’ as the subject of your application. The application should reach us by 11pm on Friday, 1 December 2023.
Katiba Institute is an equal-opportunity employer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Katiba Institute does not solicit fees for any job advertisement.
New Here? Register & Apply Now