Discord is looking for curious, passionate policy thinkers from diverse cultural and demographic backgrounds to take part in a first-of-its-kind fellowship on Discord’s Platform Policy team. This full-time, 18-week program will give fellows the opportunity to work directly on the assessment and revision of Discord content policies in an area of their choosing (e.g., User Safety, Platform Integrity, etc.). Fellows will benefit from specialized programming on policy development; peer mentorship within Discord’s Platform Policy team; and, professional development coaching with their manager. The program will conclude with fellows delivering a capstone presentation detailing the findings of their work and suggested revisions to one or more content policy.
Compensation will be based on experience. E.g., we will take into account local compensation for academic faculty or employees of multinational NGOs.
You’ll Thrive In This Role If
- Experience with social science research and/or data-driven decision-making
- Ability to synthesize information into succinctly-worded policy briefs or summaries
- Passionate about protecting users of online platforms from various types of harm
- Authorized to work in one of the following countries: Brazil, Chile, Egypt, Ghana, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, South Korea, or Thailand
- Fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Experience studying or directly working on issues of online safety — including, but not limited to: user harms (harassment, bullying, mental health); child safety; hate speech; cybersecurity (phishing, malware); misinformation; and spam
- April 12: Applications open
- May 30 – June 23: Interviews
- June 30: Selected fellows notified
- July 24: Program begins
- November 24: Program ends
#buildbelonging #LI-Hybrid #LI-KG1
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
TOP TIER PERKS AND BENEFITS:
We take care of our team with comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans.
Spend some quality time with the next generation with parental leave, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits.
Stay refreshed with over 19 paid holidays, use-what-you-need sick days, and four weeks of PTO.
In a non-COVID world, get up to $270 per month for your commuting and parking needs.
When we’re back in the office, enjoy daily catered lunches and snacks, a desk fund to make your space yours, and whatever you need for your computer setup, including a headphone allowance.
Wellness on us
Take advantage of a quarterly wellness allowance for your gym membership or other wellness activities. Virtual yoga every week!
Discord will reimburse up to $20,000 for any procedure related to transition.
Our office is located in Potrero Hill, a little neighborhood in San Francisco near awesome coffee and food.
Excellent relocation bonuses for new hires moving to San Francisco (once it’s safe to return).